US President Donald
Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed during a lengthy call Tuesday
to an immediate pause in strikes against energy and infrastructure targets in
the Ukraine war, but the Russian leader stopped short of backing a broader
30-day pause in fighting that the US administration is pressing for. The White House described it as the first
step in a “movement to peace” it hopes will eventually include a maritime
ceasefire in the Black Sea and a full and lasting end to the fighting. The
White House added negotiations would “begin immediately” in the Middle East on
those steps. Shortly after the call between Trump and Putin, air raid alerts
sounded in Kyiv, followed by explosions in the city. Local officials urged
people to seek shelter.
It was not immediately clear whether Ukraine is on
board with the limited ceasefire plan. Ukrainian officials had proposed a ceasefire covering the Black Sea and
long-range missile strikes and the release of prisoners at their meeting with
the US delegation in Saudi Arabia earlier this month.“We agreed to an immediate Ceasefire on all Energy and Infrastructure,
with an understanding that we will be working quickly to have a Complete
Ceasefire and, ultimately, an END to this very horrible War between Russia and
Ukraine,” Trump posted on social media following his call. The Kremlin said
Putin welcomed Trump's calls for the maritime ceasefire and “agreed to begin
negotiations to further work out specific details of such an agreement.” Putin
also told Trump that Russia and Ukraine are set to exchange 175 prisoners of
war each on Wednesday, and Russia will also hand over to Ukraine 23 badly
wounded soldiers, the Kremlin said. Putin also called on Trump to end foreign
military and intelligence assistance to Ukraine as the US looks to bring an end
to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to the Kremlin.
The move comes as the
White House pushes for Russia to sign off on its 30-day ceasefire proposal aimed
at ending the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Ukrainian officials last week agreed
to the 30-day ceasefire proposal during talks in Saudi Arabia led by Secretary
of State Marco Rubio. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, however, remains
skeptical that Putin is ready for peace as Russian forces continue to pound
Ukraine.
The engagement is just the latest turn in
dramatically shifting US-Russia relations as Trump made quickly ending the
conflict a top priority — even at the expense of straining ties with longtime
American allies who want Putin to pay a price for the invasion. In preparation for the Trump-Putin call, White
House special envoy Steve Witkoff met last week with Putin in Moscow to discuss
the proposal. Rubio had persuaded senior Ukrainian officials during talks in
Saudi Arabia to agree to the ceasefire framework.
Putin last week said
he agreed in principle with the US proposal, but emphasised that Russia would
seek guarantees that Ukraine would not use a break in hostilities to rearm and
continue mobilization. The Russian president has also demanded that Ukraine
renounce joining the NATO military alliance, sharply cut its army, and protect
Russian language and culture to keep the country in Moscow's orbit.
The US president said
this week that Washington and Moscow have already begun discussing “dividing up
certain assets" between Ukraine and Russia as part of a deal to end the
conflict...The president during his recent contentious meeting with Zelenskyy
grumbled that “Putin went through a hell of a lot with me," a reference to
the federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential
election in which he beat Democrat Hillary Clinton...The White House said the
leaders also discussed the situation in the Middle East and agreed “Iran should
never be in a position to destroy Israel.” US
officials have previously said that Iran has provided Russia with short-range
ballistic missiles and attack drones for the war in Ukraine. The US has also
said that Iran has assisted the Kremlin with building a drone-manufacturing
factory.