Heathrow’s chief executive
has defended the airport’s response to the power outage and shutdown that
sparked global travel chaos, apologizing to
stranded passengers but calling the incident “unprecedented.” Heathrow, one of
the world’s busiest airports, was brought to a complete standstill Friday by a
huge fire in an electrical substation in a nearby London suburb, plunging the
airport and thousands of homes into darkness.
The shutdown could affect around 150,000 passengers
and inflict hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damages on the aviation
industry, raising questions about Heathrow’s reliance on a single power source.
The government says the national energy operator will investigate. But Thomas Woldbye, Heathrow’s chief executive,
said he was “proud” of the airport’s response to the “unprecedented” crisis and
claimed it is not unusual for airports to be so dependent on a sole source of
energy.
With hundreds of planes headed for Heathrow when
the substation failed, Woldbye said the airport’s backup power system was “up
and running” immediately. “All our backup
systems were up and running. Our tower was running. Our runways were running as
they should,” Woldbye told BBC Radio 4. “Whereas the safety systems are working
and we can get aircraft in and out, most of the airport infrastructure comes to
a standstill when we need to reset as we did yesterday.”
Woldbye claimed this is “how most airports
operate,” stressing that the substation is part of the electricity company’s
infrastructure – not Heathrow’s – and that the airport had to handle “the
consequences of that failure.” “Heathrow uses as much energy as a city every single day, so we don’t
have backup power for package systems, fuel systems, things like air bridges
and so on,” Woldbye said. “I don’t know
of an airport who has that,” he added. “That would require a separate power
plant of a big size to (be on) standby all the time.” Woldbye said Heathrow
was “sincerely sorry” for the disruptions faced by passengers. Although the
airport is now “operating as normal,” he said it would take time for airlines
to clear their backlogs.
Airlines have warned of delays for days to come,
with aircraft and cabin crew having been diverted to different airports, posing
deployment problems...London’s
counterterrorism police are investigating how the blaze broke out. Britain’s
energy secretary Ed Miliband said there was “no suggestion of foul play,”
although police have since said they are keeping an “open mind” over the cause...Heathrow also announced its own review
of the airport’s crisis-management plan and its response to the incident,
Reuters reported. It will be led by the airport’s independent board member, who
is the former British transport minister, Ruth Kelly.
Heathrow was the
world’s fourth-busiest airport in 2023, hosting a quarter of a million
passengers each day. Last year, a record-breaking 83.9 million passengers
passed through. Earlier this year, the UK government backed plans to expand
Heathrow Airport by building a third runway after years of heated debate. While
the airport is a key source of growth for the British economy,
environmentalists and local activists have long opposed the disruption this
would cause to the surrounding area. A
third runway could increase the number of flights from its current cap of
480,000 a year to 720,000.
Asked about the third
runway and whether passengers can “trust” Heathrow, Woldbye said he has “full
trust in the fact that we can build a third runway that is resilient,” and
denied that the airport has been “complacent” about its preparedness for major
incidents like Friday’s